Should NYC ban fluoride from the water supply? Councilman Peter Vallone thinks we should. He’ll be holding a rally on the steps of City Hall on May 15th at 11 A.M and you’re invited.
Below, you’ll read a compelling case study to ban fluoride due to environmental and health concerns. Many cities across America have banned the use of fluoride in the drinking supply.
Should we be next? Share your thoughts on our Facebook page.
Thanks to Carol Kopf, Media Director for the Fluoride Action Network and the New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. for submitting the report.
Fluoridation Opposition is Scientific, Respectable & Growing
New York – May 2012 — More than 4,038 professionals (including 331 dentists and 518 MD’s) urge that fluoridation be stopped citing scientific evidence that ingesting fluoride is ineffective at reducing tooth decay and has serious health risks. See statement: http://www.fluoridealert.org/professionals-statement.aspx
Eleven US EPA unions representing over 7000 environmental and public health professionals are calling for a moratorium on fluoridation. (b)
The Centers for Disease Control reports that 60% of 12-15 year-olds are afflicted with fluoride overdose symptoms – dental fluorosis, white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted teeth. Yet, tooth decay crises are occurring in all fluoridated cities, states and countries. See:http://www.FluorideNews.blogspot.com
Emergency room are flooded with people in dental pain, costing taxpayers millions of dollars, because 80% of dentists refuse Medicaid patients, 130 million Americans don’t have dental insurance. Many of those that do can’t afford dentistry’s high out-of-pocket costs. No American is or ever was fluoride-deficient. Too many are dentist-deficient.
The CDC reports that 326 less communities adjusted for fluoride between 2006 and 2010. Communities that stopped fluoridation are here: http://www.FluorideAction.Net/communities.htm
In Nebraska, 53 out of 66 towns voted not to fluoridate in 2008 and 2010, reports the PEW Foundation.
Tennessee, once 99% fluoridated, is now down in the low 90’s, according to the American Dental Association News.
In 2011 the following US cities stopped fluoridation: Holmen, Grantsburg and Harmony Grove Water District (Lodi), Wisconsin; Welsh, Louisiana; Mechanicsville, Iowa; Hartland, Marcellus and Mt. Clemens, MI; Fairbanks and Palmer, Alaska; Spring Hill, Lawrenceburg & Hohenwald, TN; Philomath, OR; Pottstown, PA; College Station, and Lago Vista, Texas ; Spencer, Indiana; Naples, NY; Pinellas County FL; Amesbury, MA and Yellow Springs, Ohio . In 2012: Myerstown,Pennsylvania; Bolivar, Missouri; Bourbon, Indiana; Dillon Valley Water District, Colorado andAlbuquerque, NM.
In Canada: Lake Shore, Ontario; Calgary, Slave Lake and Taber, Alberta; Flin Flon, Manitoba; Verchères, Québec; Lake Cowichan and Williams Lake, BC; Moncton and Dieppe, New Brunswick. In 2012: Amherstburg and Tecumseh, Ontario; Wynyard, Saskatchewan; Okotoks, Alberta.
In New Zealand: New Plymouth and Taumarunui.
The Dutch-owned islands of Curacao and Aruba recently stopped fluoridation.
Many cities are considering stopping fluoridation including New York City
Students in Ireland are spearheading a campaign to stop fluoridation in the only country that mandates fluoridation country-wide.
Since the professionals’ statement was first issued, the following new studies were published:
– “Some infant foods/drinks, when reconstituted with fluoridated water, may result in a F intake in infants above the suggested optimum and therefore may put infants at risk of developing dental fluorosis,” Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology (4/2012). (30)
– “For children’s dental health measures, it was found that fluoridation rates were not significantly related to the measures of either caries or overall condition of the teeth for urban or rural areas.” (West Virginia University Rural Health Research Center, 2012) (29)
– All baby foods contain fluoride, according to research presented at the 2012 annual meeting of the International Association of Dental Research. (28)
– A Journal of the American Dental Association study (Jan 2012) reports that emergency treatment for severe tooth decay in New York State tots, younger than six-years-old, has gone up substantially in numbers and costs between 2004 through 2008. Seventy-five percent of the tots decay was so extensive, it required general anesthesia to treat. This despite decades of water fluoridation reaching 72% of NYS’s population on public water supplies.
– Colgate reports, studies confirm “the association between infant formula consumption and permanent dentition fluorosis.” (27)
– The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that 91% of rural Alaskan Native adolescents have cavities whether their water is fluoridated or not. (26)
– “The prolonged ingestion of fluoride may cause significant damage to health and particularly to the nervous system,” concludes a review of studies by researchers Valdez-Jimenez, et al. published in Neurologia (June 2011). The research team reports, “It is important to be aware of this serious problem and avoid the use of toothpaste and items that contain fluoride, particularly in children as they are more susceptible to the toxic effects of fluoride”
– Commonly-consumed infant fruit juices contain fluoride, some at levels higher than recommended for pubic water supplies, according to research was presented 3/17/2011 at the International Association for Dental Research annual meeting in San Diego (23)
– Water fluoride chemicals boosts lead absorption in lab animals’ bones, teeth and blood, was reported by Sawan, et al. (Toxicology 2/2010). Earlier studies already show children’s blood-lead-levels are higher in fluoridated communities, reports Sawan’s research team.
– State University of New York researchers found more premature births in fluoridated than non-fluoridated upstate New York communities, according to a presentation made at the American Public Health Association’s annual meeting on November 9, 2009 in Philadelphia.
– Researchers reported in the Oct 6 2007 British Medical Journal that fluoridation never was proven safe or effective and may be unethical. (4)
– Scientific American editors wrote in January 2008, “Some recent studies suggest that over-consumption of fluoride can raise the risks of disorders affecting teeth, bones, the brain and the thyroid gland”
– A study in the Fall 2008 Journal of Public Health Dentistry reveals that cavity-free teeth have little to do with fluoride intake. Researchers report, “The benefits of fluoride are mostly topical…while fluorosis is clearly more dependent on fluoride intake.”
– Research published in Biological Trace Element Research (April 2009). indicates that blood fluoride levels were significantly higher in patients with osteosarcoma than in control groups. (13) Osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer, occurs mostly in children and young adults
– All infant formula, whether concentrated or not, contain fluoride at levels that can discolor teeth – even organic, according to research published in the October 2009 Journal of the American Dental Association. (16)
– Fluoride avoidance reduced anemia in pregnant women, decreased pre-term births and enhanced babies birth-weight, concludes leading fluoride expert, AK Susheela and colleagues, in a study published in Current Science (May 2010).http://www.fluorideandfluorosis.com/Anemia/Current%20Science%20Reprint.pdf
The science showing fluoride’s adverse effects caused the following:
– At least Four New Jersey County legislatures passed resolutions opposing NJ’s proposed fluoridation mandate bill (2012)
– Prominent Hispanic Civil Rights Organization (League of United Latin American Citizens) votes to oppose fluoridation as a civil rights violation. (July 2011) (25)
– Water Fluoridation Injury Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court -
A 13-year-old’s fluoride-discolored teeth was allegedly caused by drinking fluoridated bottled water since infancy. Her Mom is suing the bottlers for the cost to cover up the unsightly teeth. See:http://www.nidellaw.com/blog/?p=66
– Because fluoride can disproportionately harm poor citizens and black families, Atlanta civil rights leaders, former UN Ambassador Andrew Young and Reverend Gerald Durley, PhD have askedGeorgia legislators to repeal the state’s mandatory water fluoridation law, April 2011. (24) They have recently been joined by Martin Luther Kings’s daughters Bernice and Alveda
– HHS Assistant Secretary for Health, Dr. Howard Koh, says all infant formulas, either concentrated or ready-to-feed, already contain some fluoride and, when routinely mixed with fluoridated water, increase the risk of dental fluorosis (discolored teeth), in a video commentary published onMedscape.com, March 8, 2011
– A bipartisan group of Tennessee legislators urge the TN Health Department to stop promoting fluoridation. (Feb 14, 2011) (22)
– US Department of Health and Human Services recommends lowering water fluoride levels to stem to rising rates of dental fluorosis from all sources. (January 2011)
— The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Water will lower safe water fluoride levelsbecause of concerns that fluoride adversely affects bones and teeth. (January 2011)
– The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Pesticides proposes to ban fumigant sulfuryl fluoride because of the concern of harmful levels of fluoride residues on foods such as cocoa beans. (Jan 2011)
– On April 12, 2010, Time magazine listed fluoride as one of the “Top Ten Common Household Toxins” and described fluoride as both “neurotoxic and potentially tumorigenic if swallowed.”
– The National Kidney Foundation dropped its fluoridation support replacing it with this caution: “Individuals with CKD [Chronic Kidney Disease] should be notified of the potential risk of fluoride exposure.” (3)
– Dr. A. K. Susheela, a leading fluoride expert, explains in a video why US physicians overlook fluoride as a possible cause of diseases commonly caused by fluoride. http://tinyurl.com/Susheela
– A Tennessee State legislator, Joey Hensley, who is also an MD is urging all Tennessee Water Districts to stop fluoridation, reported a Tennessee newspaper on 11/29/08. At least 30 Tennesseewater districts have already complied with his request.(6)
— A video was created explaining the Bizarre origination of fluoridation chemicals.http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=42652E035A1B1BAAAE1F340B54694975
Signers to the FAN statement include:
• Arvid Carlsson, Nobel Laureate for Physiology or Medicine, 2000
• Vyvyan Howard, MD, PhD, Immediate Past President, International Society of Doctors for the Environment (ISDE)
• Ingrid Eckerman, MD, MPH, President, Swedish Doctors for the Environment (LFM), Stockholm, Sweden
• Raul Montenegro, PhD, Right Livelihood Award 2004 (known as the Alternative Nobel Prize), President of FUNAM, Professor of Evolutionary Biology, National University of Cordoba, Argentina
• The current President and six past Presidents of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
• Three scientists from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Headquarters Union in Washington D.C.
* William Marcus, PhD, Former chief toxicologist of the EPA Water Division, Boyds, MD
• Three members of the National Research Council committee who wrote the landmark 2006 report:Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA’s Standards (Hardy Limeback, PhD, DDS; Robert L. Isaacson, PhD; Kathleen M. Thiessen, PhD)
• The Board of Directors, American Academy of Environmental Medicine
• Two advisory board members of the UK government sponsored “York Review”
• Andy Harris, MD, former national president, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Salem, OR
• Theo Colborn, PhD, co-author, Our Stolen Future
• Lynn Margulis, PhD, a recipient of the National Medal of Science
• Ken Cook and Richard Wiles, President and Executive Director, Environmental Working Group(EWG)
• Magda Aelvoet, MD, Former Minister of Public Health, Leuven, BELGIUM
• Doug Everingham, former Federal Health Minister (1972-75), Australia
• Peter Montague, PhD, Director of Environmental Health Foundation
• Ted Schettler, MD, Science Director, Science and Environmental Health Network
• Stephen Lester, Science Director, Center for Health, Environment, and Justice
• Lois Gibbs, Executive Director, Center for Health, Environment, and Justice, Goldman Prize Winner (1990), Falls Church, VA
• FIVE Goldman Prize winners (2006, 2003, 1997, 1995, 1990)
• Sam Epstein, MD, author, “Politics of Cancer” and Chairman, Cancer Prevention Coalition
• Joseph Mercola, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, http://www.mercola.com, Chicago, IL
• Michael W. Fox, DSc, PhD, BVM, MRCVS (former vice president of The Humane Society of the US, former vice president of Humane Society International and the author of more than 40 adult and children’s books on animal care, animal behavior and bioethics), http://www.twobitdog.com/DrFox/, Minneapolis, MN
• Environmental leaders from over 30 countries
Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Arvid Carlsson, says, “Fluoridation is against all principles of modern pharmacology. It’s really obsolete.”
Fluoride jeopardizes health – even at low levels deliberately added to public water supplies, according to data presented in a 2006 National Academy of Sciences’ (NAS) National Research Council (NRC) report. Fluoride poses risks to the thyroid gland, diabetics, kidney patients, high water drinkers and others and can severely damage children’s teeth. (11) At least three panel members advise avoiding fluoridated water.
“The NRC fluoride report dramatically changed scientific understanding of fluoride’s health risks,” says Paul Connett, PhD, Executive Director, Fluoride Action Network. “Government officials who continue to promote fluoridation must testify under oath as to why they are ignoring the powerful evidence of harm in the NRC report,” he added.
This and other little-known adverse fluoride health effects led Connett to co-author, “The Case Against Fluoride: How Hazardous Waste Ended Up in Our Drinking Water and the Bad Science and Powerful Politics that Keep it There,” with James Beck, MD, PhD, professor emeritus of medical physics, University of Alberta and Spedding Micklem, DPhil, professor emeritus at Edinburgh University.(20)
The Professionals’ Statement also references:
— The new American Dental Association policy recommending infant formula NOT be prepared with fluoridated water.
– The CDC’s concession that the predominant benefit of fluoride is topical not systemic.
– Major research indicating little difference in decay rates between fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities.
– A Harvard study indicating a possible link between fluoridation and bone cancer.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG), a DC watchdog, revealed that a Harvard professor concealed the fluoridation/bone cancer connection for three years. EWG President Ken Cook states, “It is time for the US to recognize that fluoridation has serious risks that far outweigh any minor benefits, and unlike many other environmental issues, it’s as easy to end as turning off a valve at the water plant.”
Adverse health effects of fluoride: http://www.FluorideAction.Net/health
Bill Osmunson, DDS, MPH, Fluoride Action Network Spokesperson
email@example.com Office 503.675.7300 Cell 425.466.0100 (Pacific Time)
Paul Connett, PhD, co author of the science-based book, “The Case Against Fluoride,”firstname.lastname@example.org 315-379-9200
b) Press Release August 19, 2005, “EPA Unions Call for Nationwide Moratorium on Fluoridation”
YouTube Video of EPA Union representative Dr. Hirzy’s Congressional Presentation
(3) National Kidney Foundation, “Fluoride Intake in Chronic Kidney Disease,” April 15, 2008
(4) “Adding fluoride to water supplies,” British Medical Journal, KK Cheng, Iain Chalmers, Trevor A. Sheldon, October 6, 2007
(11) National Research Council (2003-2006): Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA’s Standards
(12) “State oral health director challenged over comments about fluoridation,”
March 10, 2009,by Kathryn Lucariello, Carroll County News
(13) Biological Trace Element Research, “Serum Fluoride and Sialic Acid Levels in Osteosarcoma,” by Sandhu R, Lal H, Kundu ZS, Kharb S, Apr 24, 2009 [Epub ahead of print]
(15) “The Association Between Enamel Fluorosis and Dental Caries in U.S. Schoolchildren,” Kumar & Iida Journal of the American Dental Association, July 2009 (Table 1)
(16) “Assessing a potential risk factor for enamel fluorosis: a preliminary evaluation of fluoride content in infant formulas,” Journal of the American Dental Association October 2009
(19) Sandpoint drops fluoride from water
Posted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2010 -
(20) Digital Press Kit: http://media.chelseagreen.com/The-Case-Against-Fluoride
(21) “Water Fluoridation Meets Its Waterloo,” The National Post, November 16, 2010
(TV Video) Critics want stop to government promotion of water fluoridation
(23) “Fluoride Level in Commonly Consumed Infant Juices”http://iadr.confex.com/iadr/2011sandiego/webprogram/Paper147544.html
(26) CDC, MMWR, “Dental Caries in Rural Alaska Native Children — Alaska, 2008,” September 23, 2011
(27) The Colgate Oral Health Report, “Potential Fluorosis from Fluoride Intake During Infancy and Early Childhood” Volume 21, Number 2, 2011
SOURCE: Fluoride Action Network http://www.FluorideAction.Net
Carol S. Kopf, Media Director, 802-338-5577